Translator from GOOGLE

LOST my Makani HAHALUA 43 cm weed fin

In October 2019 I was supposed to be operated for my hernias - yes, two of 'em ...

So, took a few days off before and went windsurfing on Tuesday October 15th at OKA Parc at La CrĂȘte beach. It was supposed to be 20 kph winds SW and cloudy with about 12 degrees C.

Since it was super light wind and my windmobile was dead n gone ... I brought the Fanatic Shark 145 HRS,  Gaastra Swift 10 m² sail, 50 cm Shark fin and Makani Hahalua 43 cm weedie. Dude suggested weed fin since water is low, but I prefer a freeride fin.


I tried the freeride, but kept coming in too close with the SW wind and scratching the fin
Thus I came in and put the weedie, which looked a little cracked ...
Took a chance and lost ...


That fin was actually purchased in 2010 to replace a Select 47 cm weed fin that was lost in the local Milles Isles River !!!

It is also about the 3rd fin that I have lost at OKA. I guess I have NOT learned my lesson.
These lessons are getting more n more expensive too ...
Makani did not seem to have the 43 cm weedie available any more :-(
Jean-Robert of Makani informed me:
"We stopped producing the larger weed fins as they are too expensive to ship back and forth" and then offered me a carbon 40 cm version for $300 USD !!

Fins seem to ALL be over $200 and since auventfou is closed, 2-rad carries mostly really high end stuff. Windspirit has some options, but not many specifications on sail range covered ...

I guess since people are going to foiling some larger sail and larger fin options will disappear ??


I feel like the windsurf industry needed a kick-start and they see wind-foiling as the route to go !!



On iwindsurf coachg gave me some ideas on light wind windsurfing and the subject does go to hydrofoiling ...

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34479&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=3e0669a1bf113f4d23b2298d9b2b56d9

small update: my hernia operation was cancelled yet a third time
this time I am supposed to be a "priority patient"
yet my next scheduled date is November 21st - only 5 weeks away
and YES I will come in any time there is opening #$%^&*()_

Even worse news !!
There is NO wind this weekend S.T.

It is now @ the end of November and after my cataract and hernia operations I am at home and can search the web for weed fins, foils, etc :-)
Used fins now go for $140+ and cannot seem to find many long weed fins
Found a Black Project Weed Speed 42cm from DGEE not far from here and Andie of wind-nc.com has a G-10 version of the fin I lost ... have lotsa time before next use is required ...

No comments :

Post a Comment

all comments are now moderated = sorry.
due to comment spam
MUST have google account ...